Tuesday, December 12, 2017

WHO'S NAMING OUR SCHOOLS?


       Years ago, I first noticed a school district in south central Iowa called "Interstate 1-35." My first thought was how could anyone name a school after a strip of concrete! What pride would we take with us into adulthood having fond memories of "Old I-35."

       I grew up around the small town of Laurel, Iowa and that was what it was called. Laurel Consolidated School as it was formed in the early 20th Century after consolidating smaller country schools. Then in the early 1960's it was no more and was consolidated with the town east, Gilman, and became SEMCO(Southeast Marshall County) Then a few years later it consolidated once again with--Le Grand, Ferguson, etc and became East Marshall. 

       Some schools remain as their names imply. Marshalltown, Newton, Williamsburg, etc.Some today are combined just with two--Adair/Casey and Aplington/Parkersburg. Another category is quite lengthy: Rudd-Rockford-Marbe-RK Community School District and Sheffield-Chapin-Messervey-Thornton Community School District. Those poor cheerleaders!

        Even if the above schools went by initials, I'm not sure that would have helped. Thefollowing schools do go by letters. BCLUW, AGWSR, AR-WE-VA and H-L-V Community School District. 
Give me an A, give me a G, a W, then an S  and an R. What's it spell---"AGWSR!" Give me a break! Again poor cheerleaders! Hopefully their mascot is simple like a TIGER or--!

-----------------to be continued. 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment