Friday, December 8, 2017

GRANDMA LAVERTY & EARLY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING


       On some day around Christmas, we always had Christmas at my Grandpa and Grandma Laverty's place just one mile due west of our farm home. My two uncles also lived within a mile and all were expected to be there. 

         One thing I always remember about my Grandma Annie Laverty was her method of shopping. I knew they were relatively wealthy, but, my Grandma was pretty frugal. I will just say that some if not a lot of her Christmas shopping was done in Marshalltown during the Sidewalk Sales in July. 

        She was never skimpy on the amount of items the grand-kids received and,  it was always  somewhat amusing that if I got a pair of mittens so did my cousin Allen. I always thought it was kind of neat that, possibly, a lot of her shopping for Christmas was done months ahead. Plus, Christmas time would never be complete without giving her credit for my love of Oyster Soup! Merry Christmas Grandma! And, in case I forget. Happy Birthday in advance. 12/31/1883.  

No comments:

Post a Comment