Saturday, December 2, 2017

THE FALL & WINDOW WASHING!


      It was my job in the Fall to wash our outside windows--just the downstairs. I'm not sure at what age this ritual started for me, but, probably not to long after my dad passed away in 1953. 

       In the Fall the old wood screens came down and off and up from the basement came the heavy wood framed storm windows. And, of course the reverse was done in the Spring. Vinegar and water with old rags were used to clean the windows after hosing down all to remove cobwebs and whatever else.

      Three things came out of this day long task. First, Fall remains my favorite season because it was always a beautiful sunny day when doing them. Second, I still enjoy doing them even as a profession using  a Squeegee, a little Dawn, and old towels as they still are the best.  Little did I know I was being groomed to do it as a profession later in life.

     Thirdly, On those Saturdays, warm and crisp, set up on the cozy west side of our home, I also listened to my favorite football team the  Iowa Hawkeyes on my blue portable`radio! Life couldn't have been better. It was just the "Voice" of the Iowa Hawkeyes--Jim Zabel and yours truly! 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment