Friday, December 22, 2017

A MAID-RITE--JUST PICKLES?


      Yesterday, Thursday-12/21/2017, I drove to Marshalltown, Iowa to conduct a little business along with the main goal of having lunch at my favorite all-time eatery---Marshalltown's one and only Famous Taylor's Maid-Rite!

       I encouraged a friend, Tom H., from here in Williamsburg to drive up with me as he had never had a Maid-Rite from Taylor's. I gave him the heads-up as far as the ritual in ordering, the whole thing about ketchup and why it is offered separately on the counter.

       I also convinced him to try a "Malt" as they too are some of the best this side of the Mississippi River. Right out of the shoot Tom ordered a Strawberry Malt and the with some surprise a Maid-Rite with 'Just Pickles." That is not as strange as my sister, Doris, ordering one with just "extra onions!"

        Tom then grabbed the bottle of ketchup and poured it on. I actually kept my mouth shut! Then, after a little hesitation, Tom ordered another and wasted no time finishing it off. He is a man of few words, unlike his companion, and when finished just got up to leave with a very big smile! Oh, by the way, for a Thursday at 12:30 PM, the place was packed. What would you expect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment