Thursday, March 17, 2016

SHOPPING @ LUNCH TIME!


      A customer at the Burg Grocery said he was just going to just "check things out?" It reminded me of a time when I used to shop for clothing in that manner. The following story will show you what I mean.

       In the late 1970's and early 1980's, I worked at Allied Mutual Insurance Company in downtown Des Moines and was located up by Vet's Auditorium. At lunch time, and Allied had its own cafeteria,  some of us would walk the few blocks to the hub of the downtown and then back again. It was always good to get out of the office and get a little exercise.

      Back then one of the biggest retail stores was Younker's. It was a time when down-towns were diminishing in retail activity, but, still a factor. On occasion I would swing through Younker's and check out the latest in shirts or other men's clothing items. Usually on that day I would just think about it overnight and then the next day swoop in and make the sale. I still use that technique somewhat still today. Never rush into it. Maybe by tomorrow you will talk yourself out of it thus saving some dough!

       

No comments:

Post a Comment