Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A MEAL TO LAST BACK TO IOWA!


      It was 1987 and my ex and I had driven to New Orleans and the Jazz Festival. I always had a compulsion to go to Galveston. Maybe it was just from the song by Glen Campbell, "Galveston."

      The drive from New Orleans to Galveston was not that scenic, but, we did visit "Oak Alley" one of the south's most scenic mansions with its driveway of over 150 year old oak trees shading the long lane up to the Antebellum with its pinkish glow. I photographed it and still is one of my most cherished photos.

       Once in Galveston, it was somewhat anticlimactic as it was a Sunday afternoon late and a storm of some significance was coming in off the Gulf producing some pretty big waves. At the end of a large and long pier sat a rustic restaurant still open that time of day and even though the weather was very threatening. 

      The restaurant was quite large with this huge chalk board up high and at one end with all kind of yummy seafood  items. Knowing that this would be my last shot at enjoying good "Gulf" food before heading back to Iowa, I didn't hold back. 

      When the waiter came and took our order, I am sure he wondered how many people I was ordering for or if he was dealing with a lunatic. To this day I don't remember all I ate, but I did a lot of sampling of fish and seafood that was baked, sauteed, battered, baked and fried. or in a stew. My, oh, my, that was living. And, with that stormy day a brewing it made it all extra special! 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment