Thursday, March 17, 2016

MY PRICELESS IRISH TREASURE!


      In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I decided to write about the one possession that I treasure that I always thought would be the last thing I ever sold if life dictated. It is a priceless item to me that at least I know came from Ireland with my great grand-father, Thomas M. Laverty and family in the late 1860's and finally settling south of Laurel, Iowa in the early 1870's. 

        The family treasure that I possess is a Victorian Dome Top/Humpback  "Saratoga" Steamer Trunk. It is believed that there were three of these trunks and I was fortunate to have received one after the passing of my great uncle Patrick Laverty.

       While in college in the mid 1960's, I refinished the exterior to its original look as possible. The interior was badly damaged and my step dad, Maurice Korte built a "tray" to fit inside for added storage space. Although an antique authority might be critical of refurbishing the original trunk, it is still in excellent condition and the family importance and what it represents is still present. Many of my other family treasure's are kept in it along with my stories from "Now and Ago."  

No comments:

Post a Comment