Saturday, March 5, 2016

HOME TOWN CAFE--MILLERSBURG IOWA


      This time of year I love attending Fish Fry's during Lent. The one I had planned on attending last night( Friday 3/4/2016) is actually not until next Friday. So I asked around about any small towns that might be having a fish fry. 

      Someone at work mentioned that I should give the Home Town Cafe in Millersburg, Iowa. It is about 10 miles west of Williamsburg and is actually smaller than my old home town of Laurel, Iowa. They have under 200 people as of last census. So off I went a little after 5pm just in case the place was packed. No worry there. 

      It s a very clean and set up just like most old time taverns with a line of tables right down the middle and booths on one side with the bar on the other. There were lots of TV's around as would be expected this day and age. I enjoyed visiting with a couple of regulars for a bit while they sat out the food for the buffet.

     From there it was somewhat down hill. The salad bar was  was below average in terms of variety. Just wasn't much there although most items were fresh. The fish selections which was what I was really after, was a big disappointment. There was cod but I know it came out of a box and the two pathetic pieces of cat fish was embarrassing. There was fried chicken but that was not what I was after! Oh, well! Can't win them all. That's what makes trying these local home town places fun. Tonite they have Prime Rib, but, I will wait and have the best Prime Rib some night at THAT PLACE in Conrad. I will keep moving on! Tonite I might try the Walleye or ?? at Ox Yoke Inn at Amana, Iowa.   

No comments:

Post a Comment