Thursday, March 24, 2016

A STORY ABOUT-"BE BOP A LULU!"


     Another classic from the 1950's was a song by Gene Vincent called "Be Bop A Lulu." It was another one of those innocent R&R songs from that era.  Steve Allen, who had a comedy show back in the 50's/60's did a bit on this song one night and  read the lyrics like he was reading a very serious poem. 

      It went like this:
Be Bop A Lula she's my baby,
Be Bop A Lula I don't mean maybe.
Be Bop A Lula  She's My baby 
Be Bop A Lulu I don't mean maybe.
She's my baby doll, my baby doll, my baby doll.

Well, She's the girl in the red blue jeans.
She's the queen of all the Teens
She's the one that I Know,
She's the one that loves me so!(just first verse)


       When I heard this read by Steve Allen, who was one of my favorite whacky funny men, I thought it was so humorous that at one of the Laurel Alumni gatherings years ago I did the "bit" as part of the program. Most everybody just looked at me like I was crazy. Well, they could have been right, but, most of the older alumni probably didn't relate to the Rock song or the humor of Steve Allen. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get the chance to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment