Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A VERY SPECIAL FAMILY QUILT!


       This past Friday evening I attended a local Fish Fry and they had a raffle going and the big prize was a quilt. I didn't jump in, but, it reminded me of one of my most prized family possessions.

      It is a quilt that was pieced or started  in Germany around 1873 by my great-grandmother Wilhemina Schultz. It is a "Lover's Knot" design. Later, after arriving in America and date unknown it was completed by my great-grandmother and by her daughter or my grandmother, Minnie Schultz Smith and then given to my mother, Doris May Smith Laverty in 1933.

    Soon I will write stories about the family quilts I possess and some history about them. One important note is that my mother would attach simple notes, as in this quilt, to briefly give a little history behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment