Tuesday, November 10, 2015

PREJUDICIAL TYPECAST OR NOT?


       The other day I was helping a guy out with his groceries at the Burg Grocery and in the particular area of the parking lot there were only two vehicles. One was a pick-up and the other a newer VW Bug. I knew from the looks and dress of the guy he was a pick-up kind of person and he was.

       It reminded me of several years ago, in the late 1960's to be exact, when I was on my lunch brake and I was crossing the street at 5th Street and Locust in downtown Des Moines. As I was waiting to cross the street a Volkswagen Bug was making a right turn onto Locust in front of me. 

       I looked at the driver who was a young well dressed African American male. It was like it didn't compute at the time that a black person should have been driving a VW. You know what I was thinking. It, of course, should have been a Cadillac! Right? I am not, I don't think, of being prejudicial, but, that was what I thought at the time. End of story!

No comments:

Post a Comment