Tuesday, November 24, 2015

THE LAST LIGHTHOUSE LEAVING IRELAND Day 2


Day 2 Sunday, November 10th, 1867

And rose about 6:30  a.m. on the Sabbath. I heard some fiddling when I rose this morning and one was playing a concerti. This day the pilot came on board from Queenstown at 4:00 in the evening. They then stopped the engine and dropped anchor and got supper at 6:00. Then one of them got upon the deck and sang songs and others were courting.

We had one passenger who was dividing tracts among some of them and telling them that there were only two ways to go when you die. When one of the sailors asked him, "Where do you think I will go when I die?" "Why to heaven to be sure." The man replied, "No" said of his brother. "I would like to go to fiddlers green, where there is plenty of fun."  They amused themselves until 10:00 when most  of them went to bed and fell asleep. I was awakened at 12:00 (midnight)  by two or three of them in our room who began arguing politics or the laws of America. This was the Sabbath. The 10th of November.

to be continued-----------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment