Saturday, November 21, 2015

REALLY BAD WEATHER/BY STINEMAN'S!


     This Friday, 11/20/15, all that was talked about was the upcoming "snow storm." It's hard to get too excited about another storm when you reach my age and have experienced so many. The storm of March of 1959, experiencing a Colorado Spring snow storm in the 1980's , the storm of 1968 and I am sure you have your own!

       One I will never forget was a time when we were still living three miles south of Laurel, Iowa on the farm. It had to have been the very late 1950's or very early 1960's. The time of year is also unknown. All I remember is I was headed north on the gravel road that went right by our home and I had crossed the county line-Jasper into Marshall county and was just a quarter mile or so south of where my classmate, Mike Stineman, lived.

        At some point along that stretch, I hit a patch of ice on the road along with fog. That was one of the most frightening feelings in a driving situation I can remember! To be dealing with the fear of ice and sliding into the ditch and then also not knowing where you were exactly was a feeling I have never forgotten even though the where and why I was out that night eludes me!

2 comments:

  1. Yes sir. A couple of whoopee doo hills just over the Marshall county line . Deep ditches too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir. A couple of whoopee doo hills just over the Marshall county line . Deep ditches too.

    ReplyDelete