Saturday, January 23, 2016

WHITE WATER RAFTING OFF MY BUCKET LIST!


     It was May 2006 and Ilah Morey and I took a trip to Colorado and took advantage of that time of the year. The ski season was pretty much over and the summer crowd hadn't arrived yet. Rates were extremely low and to put it simply there weren't a lot of other tourists to get in our way.

         In just one story about the trip, I decided that I wanted to "white water." And, what a better place to do it than on the Arkansas River just below the Royal Gorge bridge near Canyon City. If you have even walked across the Royal Gorge you know what a breath taking site looking down that canyon to over 1,000 feet to river level. It is the second tallest bridge in the world. Then, if you want to do something really fun, ride the Gondola across. It's even a little higher up!

       The five man raft with the guide was my means down a somewhat medium steep incline course on the river. I was put in between the other two passengers, both younger college professors from Oregon. It was the thrill of a lifetime just for the actual ride, but, looking up to the Royal Gorge Bridge was breathtaking. I would still put snow skiing on a Colorado mountain side a notch ahead of this adventure, but, I will forever cherish the memory! I never could do that raft ride at Adventure-land again!

No comments:

Post a Comment