Thursday, January 21, 2016

REMEMBER QUILTING BEES?


       The other day I was putting groceries in a ladies SUV at the Burg Grocery and she had a really old hand made quilt laying in the back spread out to actually protect the back area of the vehicle! We talked a bit about our grand-mothers belonging to Church Quilting  groups that met on a weekly or monthly basis like they all did.

       I can still see my grandmother Laverty and some of her group in the basement of the Laurel United Methodist Church with that huge wooden quilt frame set up. I still have at least two quilts that she made, along with one or two  my mother made, and one that was started in Germany by my great grandmother on my mother's side in the late 1800's and the later finished in the USA years later by both of them.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment