Sunday, January 10, 2016

KIM'S ON THIRD AVE- AN ICON!


      Kim's, while I was in high school in the early 1960's,  was a combination of a 50's Happy Days and American Graffiti without the juke-box and music inside. To me it was where on a week-end night you went to see and be seen. It was where it was happening. 

      In another story I will tell about "scooping the loop" in Marshalltown and how Kim's and the A & W all fit in. Kim's was my favorite Marshalltown hang-out. The place you went to eat after a movie or just went to catch a bite after an evening of "loop scooping." It was a diner that set back on the lot parallel to 3rd Avenue with parking out in front.

       Inside the eatery, there was not much space for indoor eating with only a dozen stools around an L shaped counter. Waitresses or car hop's  would carry out your order on a metal window tray and she would ask you to roll up your driver side window a bit so that the tray could hook over the window. No, she did not wear roller skates. Yes, I do have one of those trays that sits on my desk at home. 

      My personal favorite meal to order was usually a cheeseburger and fries in a plastic basket with your favorite beverage or a tenderloin sandwich the same way. I am not sure if they had anything else like chicken or shrimp. I am sure they did!  

      The A & W Root-Beer Drive-In was just down the street north and on the opposite side of the street. I am not sure why I didn't go there generally as opposed to Kim's. I guess it was like some like a Chevy some a Ford. One thing that was good about A & W was the root beer that came out in that frosted mug! That couldn't be beat on a hot summer night sitting there in your non-air-conditioned car! 

No comments:

Post a Comment