Friday, January 1, 2016

MY AUNT MARY LAVERTY!


       Two songs come to mind when I think about my Aunt Mary. Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison and She's a Lady  by Tom Jones. Especially the part where in She's a Lady it says"she's got style she's got grace!" To me that was my Aunt Mary. You had to love her because she wouldn't let you feel any other way. She was kind and caring. I never saw her get upset, but,  I am sure she had her moments.

       I have repeated dozens of times that she a "Martha Stewart" of her time.  She was an excellent cook and the one story I always loved to tell was when as a family we were invited over for dinner and didn't eat until 8P.M. I thought that was so cool!

        The one thing I obtained from her and stayed with me all of my adult life was her floral arrangements. Don't get me wrong there was always a time for a dozen red roses. But, on numerous occasions I would find myself in the local Floral Shop requesting a "natural arrangement of assorted flowers that looked just like they had been picked from the roadside--"just like my Aunt Mary would have done." I am sure that there were times the clerk got a little tired of hearing about my Aunt Mary and her expertise! There was only one Aunt Mary! 
         

       

No comments:

Post a Comment