Sunday, October 11, 2015

WAS THERE A CHICAGO WHEN YOU WERE YOUNG?


      A story came to mind the other day about age and remembering things from along ago and younger people looking at you like you must be ancient. A young guy at the Burg Grocery couldn't believe that I was around and could remember when John Kennedy was assassinated.

        Several years ago my son took his family to Chicago for some big festival downtown. All the kids were fairly young and I would have never attempted to do such a thing with four youngsters.

       When they got back my youngest grand-daughter, Paige, asked me if I had ever been to Chicago. Well yes, I went there when I was a senior in high school by train for our Senior Skip Day. We had also stayed at the same hotel, The Palmer House, as they had stayed when they had gone to the festival.

       My grand-daughter got this real blank look on her face and made some comment about there actually being a Chicago that many years ago? It was funny and it shows that young people sometimes think that just a few short few years is such a long span of time.

     It was just like myself with the Great Depression. When I used to hear my mother talk about it when I was a kid in the 1950's, the 1930's seemed like a hundred years ago and not just a mere two decades or so!  

No comments:

Post a Comment