Sunday, October 25, 2015

SORRY LOUIE! THAT ONLY TOUCHDOWN!


     One story I love to repeat this time of year is when  I scored the only touchdown in this particular football game against our rival, Baxter, back in the late 1950's and when I was just a sophomore at Laurel High School.

       The big game was played on their turf and it was just the first play of the game or so it seemed. Somehow I got free as a halfback should with excellent blocking and ran 70 yards give or take for the touchdown.  It was the only touchdown for the rest of the game. We lost something like 27-7!

       Throughout the years, I would run into Louie Sach from Baxter and who was on their team at the time.And, through those years we became good friends and he would always introduce me to someone as the guy who scored the only touchdown against Baxter that year. 

     Finally, one time and somehow did I realize he was talking about THE ONLY touchdown that was scored against them all year and not just our game!  Now I felt elated. We, Laurel, ruined their entire year by scoring THE only touchdown. I never was so happy about losing the rest of my life! Sorry Loiue! You made my day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment