Saturday, October 3, 2015

ON MY LOCAL BUCKET LIST FOR SURE!


     This past week a guy came into the Burg Grocery with a faded baseball hat with "Kalona Livestock Auction" on it. He was a rather large man with worn overalls and a little wear for the worst.

      He indicated that he goes to several livestock auctions around the state and when it comes to food the one in Kalona is the best. In case you didn't know that eating destination has been on my list for some time, but, I just haven't been able to get there yet.

       He told me that there are Mennonite ladies that cook there and their dessert items are the best. Since, the gentleman's name was Schultz I had to believe him as my grandmother Smith maiden name was Schultz.

       It seems like a silly goal but, when I was in high school around Laurel, I worked for a guy west of town named Bernie Klaunburg, and we would drive down to the Baxter Livestock Barn at lunch time. The memories of that food remains vivid. Especially those hamburgers and malts. Yum!

      As soon as I can clear my Thursday calendar you will find me down in Kalona. Hope to see you there or if not I will report my findings for sure!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment