Monday, October 5, 2015

THE MOUSE HOLE/MELBOURNE!


     One fun thing that I experienced with my grand-kids was the Mouse Hole in Melbourne, Iowa. It was basically a tunnel on the northeast of town that went underneath an old train track or path of some type.

      It was fun to drive through and honk your horn and listen to that special "blast" bouncing back into the car! And, you couldn't just go through once. Sometimes, if it was near dark, I would stop the car and tell the kids about the old man, as the legend goes, who lived in the wooded area and once in awhile was spotted in his long grey beard and long flowing "robe."
And, once in awhile I would point and say something like;  "I think I just saw him running through the trees around the tunnel!" Then, there would be an occasional scream!

      It was also fun to drive fast going on the road adjacent to the tunnel. Gaining enough speed the car would almost leave the road at a certain area that ascended up and then dropped dramatically. It was a fun place to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment