Sunday, July 17, 2016

WHAT HAS OBAMA REALLY DONE FOR BLACK YOUTH?


      I will be the first to say that I am not an Obama fan. However, I did vote for him, like I am sure a lot of people did, back in 2008 just because he was Black and then I could tell my grand-kids that I voted for the first Black guy!

       Despite the fact of our polarization in Washington, he still has not, to my knowledge, introduced any kind of  major legislation to help the Black youth of this country. In a lot of our major cities, ie. Chicago, it seems the only way out and opportunity for Black youth is either selling drugs or the NBA. 

       It seems when watching TV shows like Sixty Minutes you always see a usually private school which assists young Black youths in music or sports. And, that is great. But, why can't we take it beyond that. Our churches seem to be` able to bring in people and youth of color from Africa. Why can't we come up with something as a nation to bring youth from areas of poverty to areas in this country that are prospering and experience a different way of life and different types of people through work programs. We seem to feel it is OK to bring in Hispanics and blend in different cultures and society's. 

       I know I tend to be a dreamer, but, it seems something like the Peace Corp could be devised for especially youth in blighted areas. Conversely, maybe it would be good for our youth in more prosperous areas to experience life in areas less prosperous. 

        There will always be poor and poor areas in any society, but, it does seem a tragedy that a Black President in eight years has not been able to come up with a workable solution or at least tried. The more "blending" we do in this country the harder it is to HATE!  If there are programs in place I am not aware of them.     

No comments:

Post a Comment