Monday, July 6, 2015

CAR SHOWS-BEEN THERE DONE THAT!


      Last week, just before the 4th of July, our local brew house sponsored a huge "oldie" car show. Several people asked me If I went and my reply was that honestly I forgot about it. you would have thought I missed "the" event of the year!

     There are people , I know, that follow these car shows around like groupies who follow old rock stars. Don't get me wrong I love vintage cars and it is always cool to see one parked somewhere or one  going down the highway. This is especially true for my era of the 1950's and most of the 1960's.

      But, just to look at row after row of restored autos I don't get "all shook up." I think it is because I had some of those cool cars as a kid. There was my 57' Chevy hardtop, my sister's 1959 sea mist green with white top convertible 59' Chevy. My brother-in-laws 54' sedan Chevy that was uncool and yet cool with the 55 Corvette engine under the hood. My cousin Larry's 56' and 58' Chevy's. They were the coolest of cool! There was also, Lorne, a guy a couple of years ahead of me that had a 49' Hudson that was he kept primed in a dull grey. Looked like an upside down bathtub!

     You could witness a lot of these cars scooping the loop down Main Street in Marshalltown, Iowa on a Saturday night. The drag races with cool cars east of Laurel on any night! All those cool cars are for ever stored in this guys memory. I don't need "no stinkin'" car show!

No comments:

Post a Comment