Monday, July 6, 2015

A SWEET CORN MEMORY!


      It won't be long. Our local sweet corn is almost ready if not already in some areas. I can't wait. we all have our favorite sweet corn sources. Some our home grown, while some of us have our favorite local vendor. Mine still is "Long's" in Marshalltown and has been for years. I can't wait.

      One of my favorite memories of the method of eating sweet corn goes back to the 1970's. A few friends from West Des Moines drove up to Grimes to a corn feed at a local men's fund raising event. As you went through the food line, you picked up your ear of corn which had a wood skewer stuck in one end. From there you dipped it in this crock of  hot melted butter.

     I have never forgotten that experience. One of the things on my  "small" bucket list is to fill a slow cooker with melted butter and re-enact that memory! Again, it's those little things!

No comments:

Post a Comment