Thursday, February 1, 2018

MY SKIING THRILL IN IOWA!


       It was the early 2000's and the location was the ski area near Montezuma, Iowa. I had taken my grandson's there for their first time, at least, there. We had skiied for quite awhile and I told the boys that I needed to go the main building to warm up and rest a bit. They ent from there on their own. 

       I was not wearing proper ski googles that allowed one to see outlines of everything better against the all white terrain. I was headed down a gentle slope to the Center when all of a sudden I received a big surprise!

       Just ahead of me was a small wood portable ski jump that had snow on it and I didn't see with my poor ski glasses. It wan't all that big, but, big enough. I had never made a jump of any kind even the six foot tall "portable jump" that was in front of me and that I couldn't avoid! 

     I had a couple of seconds to decide either to stay straight up or gently roll to my side and land in a slide and with as little damage as possible. After going up in the air, which seemed an eternity, I made it on my side with no injuries! 

        I am sorry or sad to say that was my last time I ever skiied again-anywhere! I always dreamed of going down at least a gentle "green" run in beutiful Colorado one last time! Thank goodness for cheerised memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment