Wednesday, February 14, 2018

LETTER cont./GRANDPA SMITH'S PASSING


      ----------------------------continued.

         Donald Halverson and Merceda Brown, the Patton boy, and Merle Patton, Dorothy Halverson, Vera Mc Ilrath, and others. Well, it's just life and the longer I live the harder I try to tell myself to take it as it comes.  I know you can look back on years of hardships, heartache, and disappointment, but I also know you have lots of joyous things to remember as far as Uncle Henry is concerned, we couldn't wish him back. 

       I can think of death as some rich experience, and I like to think of those one on before whom he will join over there. Just think of the ones whom he loved, gone on before.   He went so easy and didn't have to suffer and worry over a long illness. So there's nothing left for us but to dry our scalding tears and live for that time when we shall be called too. No one escapes. 

       We've had a grand winter for us--we needed moisture so badly and we've had several big rains and snows and the ground was never frozen, so every drop soaked in. Poor parched soil choking for a drink. You haven't any idea how terrible it was. Hundreds of big beautiful timber trees dead. Gordon is cutting as fast as he can to get it out but, won't half finish this year--nothing but drought stricken trees.

       I've been sewing as hard as I could all winter. Every week I have so much to mend that I could about make a garment in that time. The girls were given several things to be made over. There's always something going on to keep me busy, with the school and church next door, we're a little more obligated. We have a wonderful school. The children's work is so interesting, and they both are good in school, so that eliminates some worry. 

------------------------to be continued   
.

No comments:

Post a Comment