Tuesday, February 13, 2018

GRANDPA SMITH'S PASSING/FAMILY MOVIE STAR TIE!.


       My sister, Doris Laverty Eddy, found another letter written and post marked February 10, 1941, by a Helen Murray in February of 1941 to my Grandmother Minnie Smith(Niece to Aunt on Grandfather's side of family) an interesting letter of condolence written to my Grandma after my Grandpa passed away. 

      Worth noting is the detail of letter writing then. Letter writing was still of great importance at that time and even of short distances. It was much cheaper than paying "long distance" charges from the telephone companies. And, people would go into more detail with a 3 cent letter as they might not communicate by another letter or "catch up" when visiting at some point in time. 

The Murray's moved from Albany, Missouri, where this letter was written, back to Marshalltown, Iowa some time in the late 1950's.  Dawn, a daughter, became a good friend of "Jean Seberg,"while attending Marshalltown High School. Miss Seberg was Marshalltown's claim to fame as a big time Hollywood actress. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Helen Murray
Albany, Mo


                                          Mrs Minnie Smith
                                                     Gilman, Iowa

        Rural Route

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                                                     Albany Mo.
                                                                                                                     Feb. 8, 1941

Dear Aunt Minnie & All--

       I've been thinking so much of you, but I'm always slow to get around; I have so much to do all the time. I didn't do so much today (Sunday) I worked so hard yesterday cleaning; everything was so dusty. I waxed the floors too besides washing all four children's heads and giving three a bath. Glena can give her own. Also made a big batch of candy to send Gordon's sister in college. She's so crazy about my fudge. 

      We didn't fix a big dinner. I finished about 11:30 AM When the girls got home from S.S. they finished the dinner and washed the dishes. They do their work so nice  and it helps me so much. Glenna is a wonderful cleaner--in fact she can do so many things -iron, bake & get a complete meal.

       I was certainly shocked and grieved to hear of Uncle Henry's death. I always thought an awful lot of him. The saddest thing of all to me in death is the regrets we have. I always felt that all of you were so grand to me, and I wonder if Uncle Henry knew I appreciated it.

       You have no idea how much I appreciated  the Christmas card. I said to Gordon, "Well Uncle Henry & Aunt Minnie remembered  me way down in Missouri." I thought we had a good time when I stayed with you and I felt like I owed Uncle Henry a lot for he helped me get the school. 

      I made some kiddish blunders I know, but I worked hard  not to let him down. Morris Brown never did forgive me. I'll never forget Marceda Koontz when I had to fail her in Algebra. And, now she is gone. So many tragic things have happened in Laurel since I left 15 years ago.

-------------------------to be continued.   
                                                                                                             




No comments:

Post a Comment