Wednesday, December 30, 2015

HAWKS LOST! DIDN'T CARE!


     Don't get me wrong! I am an Iowa Hawkeye through and through. I have been since I was a kid. But, the following account I lived through a loss. It was the early 1980's and I had won an incentive trip to Hawaii and  specifically Waikiki

       The Hawks were playing in football, I believe, Michigan State, and it was the last game of the year. What was important that I just had to know how the game came out. In those days you didn't simply pick up scores on TV as ESPN didn't get rolling until early 1980's and of course there were no cell phones. So, I actually called the Des Moines Register to get the score. The Hawks lost. Too bad.

      I remember simply hanging up the phone in our room, walked out to the hallway, took the elevator down and simply walked right out to this beautiful beach right in the heart of Waikiki. It was too bad about my Hawkeyes, but, I was in Paradise for goodness sake. Back to checking out the sand castles!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment