Thursday, September 11, 2014

PITCHING NOT PINCHING PENNIES!

     One day at the old Burg Grocery, I teased a couple of the young teen-age guys of loafing in the back room and accused them of "pitching pennies." Of course, they looked at me with blank stares. Yes, I was pulling their chain, but, I was some what surprised that they had not heard of, at least, the concept. Maybe I should have mentioned shooting craps! Probably not either.

     When I was a kid, back in the 1950's, especially in junior high, it was quite popular in the old coat-room during a break or  lunch-time. It was very simple to play.

     Two people face a wall a short distance away, five feet or so, and one person tosses a penny or quarter and the other guy gives his coin a toss. The coin must at least touch the wall. The closest coin wins and so on until one person takes all the other guys money or you quit my mutual consent.

     Maybe some "classic" kids games/past-times just don't make it through the generations. It's hard for me to understand  some things!

     originally written 7/15/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment