Sunday, September 14, 2014

ISU/1974 TACKLE OUT OF NOWHERE!

     It was November 24th, 1973. I had decided to invite the husband, Bob Merritt, of my wife's best friend, to a football game. Yes, back then I did go to a few Cyclone games. It was closer to Des Moines and I didn't really get into going to Iowa City and the Hawkeyes, until after my divorce in 1974. I digress.

     The Cyclones were playing Oklahoma State and was the last home game of the season. After a kick-off or punt, the Iowa State player broke loose and was running for a touch-down on the west side-line and going from the south end-zone to the north end-zone.

  Our seats were on the east side and we were, that time of year, looking directly into the low sun. We were all cheering as the ISU player was obviously going to score! With my hands shading the sun and the player running in the shade, one second the player was there and the next second he disappeared!

     An Oklahoma State player, who was standing on the side-line like they do, jumped off the side-line and "tackled" the Iowa State player. Iowa State was awarded the TD. Wow!

     At the time it an NCAA record for most "bizarre"  and probably is still a record for all I know! I will always wonder, if anyone ever interviewed that OKU player to find out what he was thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment