Thursday, September 25, 2014

CLYDE EDDY/ HIS 1954 SLEEPER!

     My brother-in-law, Clyde Eddy, was maybe one of the most gifted automobile mechanics you could have ever known. And, he was known through-out central Iowa for his expertise! 

     Only one small story and remembrance of him do I want to share for now. This memory always leaves me with a warm smile.

     Clyde owned this 1954 Chevrolet. It was two-toned blue with a white top. The model was a "150" and it was called a two door sedan and not a hard top because it had the support posts. It was a very unassuming looking car to say the least!

     That was where it ended. The "150" was the low end of the model class and just to look at the auto you wouldn't give it much thought to being a "moving machine!" Oh! Did I forget to tell you that Clyde had slipped in a 1955 V-8 Corvette engine into this 1954 classic. 

          Clyde let me one time drive this beast over to highway 14, which was one mile west of where we lived. Highway 14 was paved and I couldn't wait to give this machine my own personal test. I came to a complete stop and then "hit" it. I will never know what the zero to sixty speed was, but, only knew I was experiencing the ride of my life. Sheer power! Wow!

     I would have given anything to have experienced being with him on occasion when some cool dude challenged him to a little "race!" What a surprise that guy had in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment