Tuesday, February 2, 2016

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED!


       It was February 3, 1959. I was fifteen years old and when I heard about the plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. I was devastated. I couldn't believe that three of my favorite all time musical singers were gone. I had 45 records in my collection from all three of them. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper! I had seen The Big Bopper at the Val Air in West Des Moines. 

       Rock and Roll music and collecting records of my favorite groups and singers of the time was as important to me as collecting bseball cards of  sports hero's to other youth of my time. To this day, when I hear  Oh Boy! by Holly, La Bamba by Ritchie, or  a "Hello Baby" from the Big Bopper I still get chills.

       Back in the 1970's I saw the movie about the life of Ritchie Valens, "La Bamba," it was of the only movies that I actually cried just like a baby! This coming 12th of February I am attending a live show at the Hoyt Sherman Theater in Des Moines featuring a a group of imitator's of the three legends. I am so happy that they were a part of my life's experience even if was only such a short time!

       

No comments:

Post a Comment