Thursday, February 25, 2016

I SHOULD START SENIOR ADVOCACY GROUP!


      As our population ages, including me,  it seems I notice more and more situations that when the service or product was designed or invented there wasn't much thought about how it would effect our Senior citizens. 

      On one ocassion I was having a meal with my folks at the "Machine Shed " restaurant in West Des Moines, Iowa. The server placed at each table a water pitcher so you would not have to bother anyone when and if you needed another glass of water. One problem was that the pitcher was made of thick glass and my poor mother couldn't lift it o at least very easily. The idea or intention was good, but, not for the elderly.

       At the Burg Grocery it seems that the packaging of bottled water or other types of beverages seems to be getting larger and at the same time heavier. I understand that the distributor wants to sell more product at a time, but there are some of us who have a hard time lifting such a bundle. Sometimes, I have a problem negotiating a gallon of milk. 


       Another example is for some to see the wording on a credit card terminal very well. The one at our Burg Grocery has a red tab for credit and a blue for debit. First of all there are always complaints that the wording is too small and the red and blue colors are hard to see. How hard is it to make wording a little bigger.

         As seniors, we all have different "issues" with situations we run into that makes our lives a little more difficult. I understand that most of the decisions that are being made involving the marketing of products and other examples are being made by much younger people. Maybe someone like myself needs to start hitting back a little even if it's through some feedback using the social media. If no one  ever speaks up?? 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment