Sunday, February 28, 2016

SMALL TOWN FISH FRY! YUM!


       Last night, 2/27/2015, I drove over to Victor that sits on old old highway 6 about halfway between Williamsburg and Grinnell. I attended a Fish Fry put by the Iowa County Izaak Walton League and held at the local Victor Legion Hall.

      I have always enjoyed my entire life attending functions like this in small communities whether it be a fish fry or ice cream social. The sad reality is like so many things as time marches on they are becoming fewer and far between.

      Their turn out was very good and a fairly large crowd for a small community. The fish was a white fish, Pollock, and it was coated very lightly with a batter as not to drown out the flavor of the fish entirely. The cole slaw was cut a little thicker than usual but very creamy and delicious. The mashed potato, gravy and baked beans were so so and the serving sizes were a little on the skimpy side. Of course, not being shy I did go back through and enjoyed a few more pieces of the fish.  They did put on each table huge servings of home made bread that was extremely soft and tasty.

         I do have to admit that I miss the Fish Fry that is held each year during Lent at Knights of Columbus Hall in Marshalltown.  I always enjoyed attending those fry's each Friday night even  though sometimes I went by myself as there are those who are not fond of fish or seafood. The small and simple things if life sometimes are best!  

No comments:

Post a Comment