Sunday, February 14, 2016

BUDDY HOLLY STORY- HAPPY & SAD!


      This Friday evening, 2/12,2015, with friends, Jerry and Judy Roberts, we attended the "BUDDY-The Buddy Holly Story" at the beautiful landmark theater- Hoyt Sherman Place just northwest of downtown Des Moines. If you have never attended any type of performance there, you owe it to yourself to experience the beauty of this majestic theater built in 1928.

       I had seen a production of this musical/play about the story of the legendary Buddy Holly from his start in Lubbock, Texas until the tragic ending with plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. I never tire of this performance/story as I was just 15 years old when he along with The Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens died in the crash on 2/3/1959.

       It is the only musical. play, or movie that I have ever watched that makes me happy with the memories of his music like Peggy Sue, That'll Be The Day and Rave On! He had 5 or 6 big hits in just 18 months of his short lived career. I always cry toward the end of the play because obviously I know how it will end. 

       It is strange to experience two extreme feelings at once, but, I loved it so. The actors and musicians in this production did an outstanding job.  When this all happened I had collected several of all three performers 45 records. They were my hero's. It was cool for just a short time being with them this past Friday evening  with the musical ending scene at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake. I am happy that I was part of that era even with such a tragic ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment