Monday, October 2, 2017

PENNY LOUKS/MY DANCIN' QUEEN!


       One of my fondest memories of high-school at Laurel was the era of  early R & R. From the sock hops, to collecting those small plastic 45's, it was a magical time. One person that was a part of my dancing fever was a class-mate Penny Louks.

        Penny was really really good at the Bop and all its moves. At one local sock hop at the "new" gym in the early 1960's, she and I had won a dance contest and was invited to attend a week-end and local dance show on WHO TV, in Des Moines, Iowa and held every Saturday.

        It was a show modeled after Dick Clark's American Bandstand.  I believe it was called the Lee Harris Record Hop. The one thing I remember so well was how small the dance floor that we danced on in the TV studio. It couldn't have been more than 10' x 10' so it seemed. Maybe it wasn't  like being in in the big time at Philadelphia, but, it was sweet nevertheless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment