Monday, October 2, 2017

CLASSMATE JERRY GOT ME KILLED!


        It was 1960 and the high-school Friday night football game was being held at Union-Whitten, Iowa. My team, the Laurel Hornets,  was doing its best against a bigger school. To show how our night was going the following play is one I'll never forget.

         My dear friend and class-mate on this particular play was Jerry Roberts and his position was the Center. It was fourth down and Jerry hiked the ball to me as I was the punter. Jerry hiked that ball right over my head and in to the end-zone. 

       Of course, the only thing I could do was run back and try to either run with the ball or attempt to kick it. It didn't matter. Those Union-Whitten boys were on me like Flies on s--t! Through the years I have, of course,  reminded Jerry of the Flub! Don't get me wrong. Jerry was awarded as First Team All Conference Center our Senior year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment