Wednesday, October 15, 2014

THE BIG TOP WITH UNCLE PAUL!

      Sometime after my dad passed away in 1953, my uncle Paul took all the Laverty cousins to see the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus in Des Moines held at  the state fairgrounds. I'm not sure who all went but, I'm pretty sure Deborah would have been too young. (It was probably Larry, Doris, Linda, Alan, and myself.

     This was a big deal. Uncle Paul, as I remember, took us my himself. The event was held in a huge canvas tent. No stinking event center. No sir! It was three ring too. Through the years, I know why I loved the circus so. It was due to that original trip.

     Before the circus started, we walked around and viewed the carney's games of chance, various concession stands, and caged animals. It was all so magical and unbelievable!

     But, the most amazing memory for me was when it was over, watching the men rush in and start to dismantle the folding chairs and the elephants being used to tear down and slowly  lower the huge support beams or poles that held up the tents. It was like watching this human and animal team machine hard at work! Fascinating! I don't remember the high-wire act! Go figure.

      .

No comments:

Post a Comment