Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DUSTY GRAVEL ROADS --NEVER AGAIN!

      During the President Eisenhower years (1952-1960) the interstate highway system was planned and started. The source of rock and gravel in the central Iowa area came from a  quarry near Ferguson, Iowa. The line of hauling that gravel was right past our house to Kellogg, Iowa and stored nearby to build I-80 across Iowa.

     I'm not sure how long it took to build through Iowa, but, for some time from morning till night, we had gravel trucks flying by our house with constant dust. 

     My poor mother could never keep up with her dusting of our house. That was bad news for a someone who wanted a spotless home. We were always grateful when the wind blew from the west as to blow the dust away from our house. 

     I always swore I would never live on a gravel road and I never have.  **(When they put me away some day into the "HOME" it will probably be on a gravel road.)

     Even when I owned my first car as a kid, I drove slowly over to highway 14 (paved) and wiped it down with a damp cloth. You weren't too cool with a dusty car!

No comments:

Post a Comment