Tuesday, October 14, 2014

KAREN-MY MARGARET!

     My school classes through elementary and high school generally ran at a 15 to 5 ratio of boys to girls. So why was it that my closest playmate growing up lived only one quarter of a mile away and was a GIRL! My best guy friend in school lived in Laurel, a whole three miles away. Life is not fair.

     Karen lived just down the road. Just a real easy walk. She was the "Margaret" to me as in  Dennis the Menace comics. She could really be a pain sometimes. Generally bossy! Always wanting to play house and the like-not cowboys and Indians or Tarzan! Well maybe looking back she was "somewhat" normal! Maybe it has to do with nurturing and all that.

     There were times I would make her mad and she would say "Well, I'm not coming back here." She always did. Sometimes I wonder with having a girl for a playmate, losing my dad at an early age, one younger sister, one older sister,  and mostly all female teachers, it's a wonder I didn't turn out a little stranger than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment