Monday, October 13, 2014

ON A DARK AND FOGGY NIGHT OUT CAME----!!

     After a big Saturday night in the big city of Marshalltown, I headed back to the small town of Laurel. It was after midnight and after my big date with my favorite sweetie.

     The ten miles south to Laurel from Marshalltown was pretty uneventful and generally you could put your brain on automatic pilot except for negotiating the S curve just south of Marshalltown.

     On this particular Saturday night coming back from the big city in my 57 Chevy, I had encountered fog on and off all the way back. As with fog, you have to pay attention, but I had made it to the outskirts of Laurel. There was the sign that read-Laurel population 200. I was coming up the incline on  highway 14 and very focused due to the fog.

     Then it came out at me like the "headless horseman." Out of the smothering and swirling fog. It came out of nowhere right there on main street! It was this gigantic faceless head of some type on top of this human body. My heart stopped for a second or two and hairs stood straight upon the back of my neck!

     When I pulled into the guys after date rendezvous spot-the Standard Oil Station, IT was still coming after me. Then-it removed its head! It was none other than an upper-class mate, Bill Brown. He had come back from Marshalltown earlier and decided to play the trick on an unsuspecting late night traveler. I was the random target. Lucky me!

     He had taken one of the "crowns" off one of the gas pumps which had a light underneath so the top would light up at night. He did show a bit of foggy night brilliance with his one man capper. Even though the joke was on me, I always appreciated the effort. It was good!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment