Sunday, October 26, 2014

A BRIEF LOOK AT TELEPHONES LONG AGO

     We've come a long way with the telephone since the 1950's and before. I won't enough try to discuss in any way the "smart phones" of today.  Within a year or two there will be so many changes it will be amazing.

     Back in the old days of the mid 20th century, the phone was used to simply communicate by voice to another. We had the wood wall mounted phone with a crank.

     Living in the country, we were on a "party line," sharing the phone line with a few other people that usually lived on the same road for a distance. Our number was 3 on 5. Period. If you were dialing that number locally, you rang the number out with the crank. Our number cranked out was one short crank followed by three long cranks. Simple enough!

     If there was some type of emergency, one person might asked everyone that was on the line to get off so you could make your call. It was real tough to talk about anything personal without the whole community knowing about it. If I wanted to make a call to my favorite "girl," I would go the telephone booth attached to the telephone office in  town at Laurel and make my personal call. If it was long distance, I would simply go in the office and asked the operator how much the charge would be.

     Later, we installed a smaller desk type phone with a crank. Not sure when we started using a rotary dial phone. A lot of people used the rotary phone long after the push-tone phones came in.  It was the late 1990's, that I had my first cordless phone. I  also had a car phone in the late 1970's when I first started in the real-estate business. Pagers were also used prior to the advent of cell-phones.

     

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment