Tuesday, August 1, 2017

WHEN $100 BOUGHT A LOT OF CLOTHES!


       This AM while cleaning windows for a clothing store at Tanger Outlet Mall here in Williamsburg, Iowa, I observed a mother buying and checking out with a big pile of clothes for her daughter

        It did remind me of years ago when I was a youth my mother taking me down to Wormhoudt's in Newton, Iowa. She would take me down to Newtown prior to school start in the fall for my new school wardrobe. I only assume she went there instead of Marshalltown like Gildner's, because maybe she could either get a better deal and/or find clothes that might be a little different than would other kids might be wearing.

        I do recall on one occasion the clerk adding a huge pile of clothes that my mom had purchased for me and it added up to just over $100. Wow! A $100. And, that included socks, underwear, shirts, pants, belts, sweaters and more. Also, I don't remember any stores having any big sales at that time of year.

       Although, the clothes that the mother purchased today might not have been that terrible relative to the 1950's with buying at a discount mall, reward cards, sales, and who knows what other kickers!  One thing for sure, I'm sure clothes back then were of better quality and lasted longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment