Tuesday, May 23, 2017

ESTES GETAWAY/THE BIGGEST SURPRISE!


       Little did I know at the time that a detour would in the end be a blessing in disguise! I had driven through Loveland,Colorado and on my way up through Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. There was the sign. Road Closed. After stopping and checking with a lady at a souvenir shop, I would have to back track through Loveland, go south and come in through highway 36 from Lyons.

       It was a scenic drive and a way that I had never traveled. Besides, I was not in a hurry to get anywhere at a certain time. This route, I'm sure, is how people from Boulder and Denver travel.

        When I left Monday morning, 5/22/2017, I sat and studied my handy dandy map while eating a little breakfast, Eggs Benedict, at the local Egg & I. Something told me to check out a local route #7 that was marked as a scenic drive. Yes, I was advised, it was open and very scenic. 

         It was just an older winding two lane that, I'm sure, was an original route to Estes from Denver etc. many, many years ago. My instincts were correct. This route came back through Lyons and skirted on the edge of the Rocky Mountain National Park and Roosevelt National Forest. In some ways and areas it was more scenic and stunning than in the"Park" itself. It was like icing on the cake. I may take it next time going up instead of Big Thompson or visa-versa. Talk about a "sows ear into a silk purse!"

        

No comments:

Post a Comment