Thursday, May 25, 2017

ESTES GETAWAY/FATE OR COINCIDENCE


       Last Saturday, 5/20/2017, on my way up to Estes Park from Loveland, Colorado, I was confronted with a big detour sign just as was ready to begin the climb up through Big Thompson Canyon via Federal highway 34. I had to go back and then south and up Federal highway 36 coming up to Estes from the south and through the scenic town of Lyons.

        Part of this story involves a tip from Scott Lothe, a long time window cleaning customer of mine in Marshalltown, Iowa and the Pastor of the Laurel United Methodist Church, which I am also still a member. Scott had mentioned before I went out about this old legendary Inn called the Baldplate Inn in Estes which also had this huge "key" collection and dynamite desserts. I didn't think too much more about it for some reason.

       When getting ready to leave Estes on Monday,5/22/2017,  something told me to go back via state highway #7 which was touted as a very scenic route. The route, again, heading to Lyons, was magnificent and in some` ways better than parts of the Rocky Mountain National Park.

        I stopped once along the way to take in the view and what do you think was just behind me. It was a sign directing  to the "Baldplate Inn!" Wow! I didn't check it out then, but, know that the next time I am out to Estes, I will be visiting the Baldplate. What are the odds?


       

No comments:

Post a Comment