Saturday, June 11, 2016

WHEN I FELL IN LOVE WITH CHICAGO CUBS!


       I haven't always been a big Chicago Cubs fan. As a matter of fact most of my earlier years I wasn't even a baseball fan- mostly college football and the Iowa Hawkeyes. It all happened on August 8, 1988. That was to be the first night and game when the Cubs played a "night" game under lights at Wrigley Field in Chicago. It was a big deal. All their games were played in the afternoon up to that point. The die-hards didn't want it. What about tradition? What about the quaint residential neighborhood that surrounds the Park. Television and big money won out. Times had changed.

      John McCartan, my sales manager at 1st Realty, 801 Grand, West Des Moines, at the time invited me to go with him, and his two sons and brother-in-law to the game. However, he got tickets to the second night game as he explained, the first night game was sold out with dignitaries and such. It was OK with me. I was just honored that he had invited me along with his family to such a big sporting event. 

      We went in and stayed at a Holiday Inn right off Michigan Avenue and the "Magnificent Mile." What a treat. And, here came the "kicker!" The first night's game got rained out! Therefore, we were able to witness the first night game on August 9th, 1988. 

       For you sports enthusiasts, the Cubs defeated the New York Mets 6-4! The following day on a Sunday we sat during a three hour rain delay. One important thing besides becoming a Cubs fan from there on I also fell in love with Wrigley Field. It is what a major league baseball park is supposed to look and feel like. A week-end I'll never forget!  

No comments:

Post a Comment