Tuesday, June 21, 2016

SUMMERS AGO/FALLING OFF THE BARN-ALMOST


    
       Never, ever would I trade or wish that I had lived somewhere else but on the farm where I grew up and was raised. Although, there was a certain isolation aspect, it also could be referred to more as a peaceful experience overall. No busy streets or freeways. No airplane or railroad traffic and noise around and overhead. No big time odor or pollution. Yes, there were those nasty gravel trucks for a time!

       There were places where you could think your thoughts in peace. Walking the soft dirt lane west of the corn crib. Especially, the soft mud running between your toes after a summer rain. Climbing up the elevator on the corn crib and sitting up there and looking west at the beautiful sky. 

      The same could be said for climbing the up to the peak of the barn. Access was gained by climbing up on the wooden cattle loader parked by the barn. One could then scoot yourself up to the peak. Usually, you would sit there with your legs spread over the peak, like sitting in a saddle atop a horse. You could day dream and to me it was beauty as far as I could see!

       The shingles on the barn were wooden with an occasional nail sticking out. One not only had to be careful going up but, especially coming down. Those nails and a little moss here and there could spell disaster. Yes! You guessed it. One time a nail got me and down I went head first! At the same time, a nail saved me and caught my pant leg just before I was headed headfirst over the 8 to 10 foot drop to the ground. Living on the farm could be peaceful, but, danger lurked once in a while!

originally written March 2008


No comments:

Post a Comment