Sunday, June 26, 2016

SUMMERS AGO/CHURCH CAMP continued!


      It always seemed that the kids from larger towns, like Marshalltown, were more sophisticated or worldly, if you know what I mean. Cooler clothes. Their way of talking was a little more hip. This was like going to college. A lot to learn and not all just out of the Bible. 

      I remember a kid from Marshalltown named Rex and he had a pair of buckskin saddle shoes. I had to have them. When we got back after that week, I drug my mother around to a half dozen shoe stores until I found a pair of shoes like Rex's. It was a size to large. Didn't matter. I just stuffed the toes with tissue paper. Now I was cool! 

      There was always a little romance going on at camp. It couldn't be helped. Young teen-age boys and girls thrown together from different towns. It was like teenage dating service in action! Hormones raging. It was a regular meat market! The one "summer romantic cuttie" I met and fel for was Dianne  from Cedar Rapids. She` had the cutest pony tail. I followed her around like a puppy dog and  all she had to do was say "fetch or sit!"

       Oh ya, and, when it came time to go home we always promised to write & all that with our new found friends or romance. We seldom did! Maybe once. I'm sure she didn't have any trouble finding a new boyfriend or picking up with her old boyfriend. For me, it seemed like it took at least a good week to get over her. It was a real bummer. 

    --------------to be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment