Sunday, February 26, 2017

BUYING NOSTALGIA @ AUCTION


        One thing that is always dangerous when attending a household auction that is loaded with collectibles or antiques. After decades of collecting and buying/selling "old stuff," you would think I could attend an auction and leave my hand from waving around. You would be wrong garlic breath!

      Yesterday, while attending an auction in Belle Plaine, was no exception. There were these two old porcelain wash pans and they were just sitting there calling to me. As a kid, I remember in our kitchen we had this cast iron long sink that was porcelain covered. At one end it had a ribbed draining area for dishes. In the recessed area a white porcelain wash pan was kept for washing ones hands or face. 

       The memory, and not a pleasant one, was when grit or little morsels of sand were in the bottom of the sink, and, that wash pan was moved around, even so slightly, it was worse than fingernails on a chalk-board! And, why did I have to actually buy that stupid old wash pan/bowl? I didn't need that $5.00 anyway I guess!















No comments:

Post a Comment