Friday, March 9, 2018

BACK TO NATURE/GOOD THING


       This past Thursday, 3/8/2018, a Naturalist from Iowa County Conservation Service spoke at the Kiwanis noon luncheon here in Williamsburg, Iowa. He was very knowledgeable about all facets of county parks, preserves events, and wildlife in the area.

           It made me realize that there are really amazing places very close to home to explore with nature. It seems like I'm always trying to travel even short day trips within the state of Iowa to discover new things to see and experience in nature. This speaker made me realize that on occasion new and exciting adventures can be found very close to home--just in our back-yard.

         In the 1980's and living in the West Des Moines area, I used to walk my dog almost every Sunday morning at Browns Woods, just on the SW edge of Des Moines. It is the states largest urban forest preserve of close to 500 acres and 4 miles of natural trails. It was always so relaxing to walk all that pure nature and yet be so close to urban living.

        The speaker also made me realize growing up on a farm as a youth and how many times I found peace in some of my getaways right there on that 160 acres. I plan on finding some of those peaceful moments again and close to home in Iowa County. Who knows maybe I spot an Eagle or two and even a bear oh, my! 

      

       



No comments:

Post a Comment